Gas Fireplace Maintenance and Safety

Burning logs in a home fireplace.

Gas fireplaces are a quite popular way to warm up in a traditional way without some of the mess. With the flip of a switch you can sit back in your Blaine, MN, home and enjoy a cozy, warm fire without the trouble of real logs or smoke and fumes. And gas fireplaces burn with up to 90 percent efficiency rating, meaning almost no pollution.

Gas fireplaces are designed to look so similar to a real wood burning fireplace that many people can’t tell the difference. So while you may not get the nostalgic pop and snap of a real fire, you get an extremely clean, versatile warmth with cost-effective convenience. You also get a wide variety of fireplace designs and installation options. You can choose the design that best matches your home and you have an option to install a fireplace in more rooms than ever before.

Gas Fireplace Safety

Hire a licensed contractor. Installation is NOT a do-it-yourself job; working with gas lines requires a professional technician.

Ask that your contractor installs and oxygen-depletion sensor. Sometimes called a “safety-pilot” this device will automatically shut off the gas if the temperature gets too cold or there is too much carbon monoxide built up.

Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your house. Tests show that gas fireplaces do not increase carbon monoxide levels in your home, but you should have detectors installed anytime you use any kind of gas burning appliance.

Have your gas log set professionally and inspected at least ones a year.

During a routine maintenance inspection, the professional will:

  • Clean and adjust the logs and accessories like the glowing “embers” so they look their best. Clean the fan and air circulation passages.
  • Clean the glass.
  • Check the batteries in the carbon monoxide detector.
  • Make sure you vents are unobstructed.

Keep your children away from the gas fireplace. If your model has glass doors, they will get hot enough to burn a little hand that leans against it.

Keep all household items and flammable objects at least three feet away from your fireplace.

Contact Arctic Mechanical at 612-741-9297 if you smell an unusual odor or the appearance of the flames has changed. If you smell gas, call 911 and leave the house.

Burning gas can deplete the oxygen in your home. You should crack open a window to replace the oxygen in your room.

Keep your fireplace damper open to allow carbon monoxide to escape.

If you have any questions about your gas fireplace or would like to request service or maintenance on your unit, call us at 612-741-9297 or request service online today.

Call Arctic Mechanical today and let us show you why we’re the right choice for your heating and cooling needs.

Read More of Our Articles

View other articles.